Getting up in the morning with an awful neck pain is a terrible feeling. It can start by stiffness and severe aching of the neck and can lead to headaches and pain in the back, shoulders, and arms. Morning neck pains tend to make you feel exhausted and irritated and can also lead to a number of health issues.
What causes morning neck pains?
Neck pains are not only uncomfortable but also hampers the scheduled activities of your daily life. There are a number of factors that can cause night neck pains:
- Spine and neck problems like kyphosis, cervical disc degeneration, cervical disc herniation, and cervical osteoarthritis can lead to morning neck pains and discomfort.
- Wrong sleeping positions can cause severe neck pains in the morning.
- Sleeping quality and sleep problems play an important role in causing neck pains at night and in the morning.
- Sleeping on the wrong neck pillow can also cause neck pains and neck numbness.
- Sleeping without an adequate neck balance can also be the reason for neck pains.
Ways to prevent and cure morning neck pains
There are a few ways in which you can prevent and cure night and morning neck pains. They are as follows:
Improve your sleep hygiene: Having a healthy sleep at night is very important. You should reduce your daytime naps to 30 minutes for adequate nighttime sleep. You must also exercise daily to promote a good night’s sleep.Avoid consuming heavy or fatty foods, and nicotine and caffeine products close to your bedtime. Ensure a pleasant and comfortable sleeping environment and also establish a regular bedtime routine that includes reading a book or taking a warm bath.
Choose the perfect pillow: The wrong neck pillow shape and size can cause severe neck pains, neck numbness, and shoulder aches. Here are three of the best pillows for neck pain that you can choose for yourself to prevent and cure neck cramps:
- Memory foam pillows: These pillows adjust to the shape of your head and neck and hold them in place. They do not collapse over time. This is a popular and best pillow for neck pain.
- Orthopedic pillows: Also known as cervical pillows, these pillows have a higher area near the neck to provide support and drops near the head. This shape provides the perfect posture for your head and neck. This, in turn, prevents neck aches in the morning.
- Feather pillows: This is one of the best pillows for neck pain which can be easily tailored to provide support wherever needed. These are perfect for the people who tend to change their positions repeatedly at night.
Correct your sleeping posture:
Sleeping on your stomach with your head turned towards the side can exert pressure on your nerves leading to severe shoulder and neck aches. You must convert yourself on your back or to your side in order to avoid this.