Taking into account the persistent cost of living and lower rates of disposable incomes, there are certain aspects of our lives we must become more aware of. For seniors, who lack any proper source of income, one of the scariest aspects of their lives is taking good care of their health.
Senior health insurance is a must for all senior citizens. With the rising cost of medical expenses, it can become very difficult for senior citizens to come up with ways to pay for their medical bills, in the case of an emergency. Several companies offer lucrative health insurance plans according to the needs of every individual senior citizen.
What are the benefits covered under the senior health insurance?
- Hospital expenses if a senior is hospitalized for more than 24 hours. These expenses include room charges, medicines, drugs, doctor fees, and nursing fees
- Existing diseases (subject to certain terms and conditions of the particular policy)
- All medical costs prior to and after hospitalization
- Ambulance charges for transportation of senior
- Day care costs which may arise from the use of special equipment or therapy, such as chemotherapy, dialysis sessions, etc.
Various companies offer assistance to seniors, helping them select the appropriate Medicare or Medicaid plans for themselves. Once seniors reach the age of 65 (or lower, in case they have certain medical conditions), they are eligible for Medicare. However, at times, the costs covered by Medicare might not be enough to meet the medical expenses.
In such cases, seniors can avail a Medigap insurance plan, which will help cover the expenses that their Medicare plan does not cover.
For senior citizens, it is a must to find a good health insurance plan to cover their medical expenses. Not having a comprehensive insurance plan may turn out to be extremely dangerous especially in cases of emergency.