In case you know someone who is a fitness freak, you may have heard the term protein supplements. But what exactly does it mean and why do you need them? Let us try to understand this.
What are protein supplements?
Because of the fast-paced life we all live in today, we are in a constant rush to get things done. Therefore, there is less and less time at our disposal to invest in good, healthy food.
This shortage of meeting the basic requirements led to the origin of protein supplements. As the name suggests, they are a storehouse of the essential proteins you need in daily life.
Why take protein supplements?
A healthy, balanced diet is the key to a healthy body and mind. But with the excessively long hours at work or no time to prepare breakfast in the morning, don’t we compromise on our health by eating junk food?
This is the most important reason why you should take protein supplements. Because they can be considered as healthy clones of fast-food, you can munch on the health bars, tubs or shakes to remain in shape and at the same time maintain a healthy lifestyle.
What are the different types of protein supplements?
The market is flooded with the following types of protein supplements.
- Whey protein is the most ideal for those who hit the gym as it is the fastest protein to be absorbed by the body, thus helping you strengthen the muscles simultaneously after a workout.
- Casein protein is the slowest protein for digestion, therefore the best supplement while sleeping.
- Soy protein is fairly fast digesting, but the real benefits include boosting nitric oxide levels, increasing hormone stimulation and aiding in the post-workout muscle recovery.
- Egg white protein is faster to digest than casein protein but slower than whey. High-quality protein, it is ideal to be consumed at any time of the day.
- Milk protein is fat-free containing 80% casein protein and 20% whey, making it relatively slow digesting.
So, you may consider these and decide the best protein supplement.