Chronic dry eye is a disease wherein either tear drops are not produced in a sufficient amount or the tears produced are not of the required quality for the lubrication and the nourishment of the eyes. Chronic dry eye disease is also referred to as dry eye syndrome.
The causes of dry eyes are varied, and everyone should be aware of the same. So when you observe it in you or your loved ones, you can take remedial measures at the earliest.
Causes of chronic dry eye
There are several chronic dry eye causes, which are listed below.
- Aging can be one of the natural causes for dry, itchy eyes, where an insufficient amount of tears are produced, consequently resulting in this condition.
- Gender is one of the factors of this disease. The disease is more likely to be developed in females as compared to male. This is due to the hormonal changes related to pregnancy, use of contraceptive pills on menopause.
- Medication can be a cause of this disease as well. Certain types of medicines like decongestants, antihistamines, antidepressants and blood pressure medications might cause a reduction in the production of tears.
- Some medical conditions are also responsible for causing chronic dry eye. People who are previously affected with diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or thyroid problems are more likely to develop the symptoms of dry eyes. Also, there can be other problems with the inflammation of eyelids, the surface of the eye or the outward or inward turning of the eyelids, which might add up to the causes of dry eyes.
- Other environmental conditions like windy and dry climate can also result in causing chronic dry eye symptoms.
Therefore, it is best to prevent the causes of dry eyes that are avoidable so that the chances of developing this disease is reduced. And if affected, it is imperative to talk to your doctor.