Night sweats is another word for the condition of profuse perspiration during night time. This becomes an extremely uncomfortable phase of life for people who experience this condition. The main triggers that cause night sweating in women are
- Cancer: Some cancers like lymphoma or leukaemia show a major indication of night sweating during the early stages of the disease.
- Medicines: Certain drugs have the adverse effect of the profuse night sweating in patients.
- Infections: Some underlying infections in the system like tonsils, appendix or abscesses can cause the symptom of the profuse night sweating indications in victims.
- Neurological Disorders: Some neurological issues like dyslexia, stroke, post traumatic syringomyelia and autonomic neuropathy.
- Idiopathic Hyperhidrosis: This is an issue where one’s body manufactures excess sweat with no medical reason at all.
- Hormone problems: Flushing and sweating can also occur due to hormone problems like hyper thyroid syndrome or carcinoid syndrome.
When does this condition need to be treated?
Although most cases of the night sweating maybe just an adverse effect of some medication that the victim is having and does causes sleep disturbances, they may not be a reason for serious concern. However, if there happens to be a serious underlying issue, the patient needs to seek treatment accordingly.
You need to seek medical attention if:
- These night sweating patterns keep recurring frequently
- Night sweating is followed by unexplained loss of weight, fever or bad coughing fits
- Suppose the patient already has been diagnosed with HIV or cancer, these recurring night sweats is an indication that the illness is progressing quickly.
Treatment will depend on the diagnosis. Suppose the night sweats are caused by approaching menopause, the doctor will advice hormonal therapy along with medications.
If there is some infection that is the major trigger of night sweating episodes, the doctor will treat the condition with antiviral medications, antibiotics or appropriate medicines that will treat the condition.
On the other hand, if it is just a minor issue, alterations in your sleeping pattern like adorning lighter clothing, getting rid of heavy blankets, using air-conditioning or leaving a window open can help alleviate this issue to an extent.