The total knee replacement is a surgical procedure where the infected knee joint will be replaced with an artificial one. It consists of a metal shell or channeled plastic piece, along with a metal steam. This is termed as the prosthesis. Basically, a knee is a joint that provides motion at a particular point and is the place where the thighs meet the lower leg.
They are many hospitals that specialize in knee replacement, such as Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Advanced Surgical Hospital, Carolinas Medical Center and many more. Medical experts also suggest referring to a video of a total knee replacement to know more about it.
Types of knee replacement surgery
They are two types of knee replacement surgeries based on the condition of the patient.
- Total knee replacement: In this, both the knee joints will be replaced.
- Partial knee replacement: Only the damaged side of the needle will be replaced.
Arthritis is the main cause for knee replacement, and they are three main types of arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis: Completely related to age, osteoarthritis usually happens after the 50-year mark.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: In this condition, the synovial membrane surrounding the joints becomes inflamed.
- Post-traumatic arthritis: It is a serious knee injury that limits knee functioning and causes pain.
While surgery is one of the most important was of treatment, there are options for physical therapy, injections, and simple surgical operations available as well. The non-medical treatments include medication, walking and some directions given by the physician. If the condition is serious, joint replacement surgery becomes important. This is a safe as well as the effective procedure that relieves pain and helps you lead a normal life.
Best knee replacement hospitals
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Abrazo Hospital Arrowhead Campus
- Advanced Surgical Hospital
- Advocate BroMenn Medical Center
- Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Amita Health Adventist Hinsdale Hospital
- AnMed Health Medical Center
- Anne Arundel Medical Center
It is important to protect your knees and if you have undergone knee replacement make sure you take proper care. If you are a bit curious about it, then you may check out a total knee replacement video to get a better understanding.